Ok, this recipe is for Megan, the Chocolate Goddess, and others who eat, enjoy, and relish in great food and desserts. It does not matter that you have Diabetes, Life is still to be participated in and enjoyed.
1. 6 large Eggs at room temperature
2. 1 ½ lbs. Good Quality Chocolate(should be semi-sweet or bittersweet or a combination). Chocolate is like coffee.Everyone has their own particular likes as to preferring strong/earthy coffee or more of a medium blend. The same holds true of Chocolate. Both Chocolate and Coffee are related cousins regarding their bean.
3. 2 C Sugar
4. 1 t. Baking Powder
5. 2 T Vanilla Extract
6. 8oz. (½ Lb) Sweet Butter Softened at Room Temperature.
7. 3 C Walnut Pieces(broken Up) (Optional)
8. 3T Expresso Powder
9. 2 T Bourbon (Optional)
10. 1 ½C Sifted Flour
11. ½ t Salt
Preheat Oven to 350F at least ½ hr. before baking. Sift the Flour and baking Soda together in a bowl. Add ½ t Salt and mix together. Melt the chocolate(first cut into small pieces) with the butter in a Double Boiler or use a metal bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.You can add the Expresso Powder if you want a Mocha Flavor added to the Brownies. I did and it tasted great. Do not get any water or steam into the Chocolate. Chocolate is very sensitive to heat and MUST BE melted slowly as you stir the bowl with a Spatula(I use a Rubber/Plastic Spatula that can withstand the heat). Keep stirring until the Chocolate& Butter have mixed together and melted. Remove from heat. In your mixing bowl, beat eggs with your Paddle Whisk and slowly add Sugar. Beat at Medium Speed till the Egg Batter has lightened and thickened. Add the Melted Chocolate/Butter Mixture which should be cooled down to the Egg&Sugar Mixture in your mixing bowl. Take your
Spatula put it into the mixture (Machine is turned off) and give it a couple of quick turns from the bottom and sides.Next, add the flour on low speed till incorporated(do not overmix). Remove bowl and stir again with your Spatula......Add Bourbon if desired. Also add Walnuts, but they also can be left out. The Walnuts should be preheated a little in a cookie sheet to bring out their flavor(DO NOT BURN OR OVERCOOK THEM).
I used a Pyrex Rectangular pan that measured 9 ½ X 13 ½. Make sure that you completely butter the pan all around as well as the bottom before adding the Brownie Mix. Smooth the top after all the mix has been poured into the pan. BAKE FOR ABOUT 50min. But you must test to see if the Brownies are done by inserting a toothpick or any other long object into the pan.If some chocolate adheres to the toothpick, they still have to bake more. At this point check for doneness every 10 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Take out of oven and cool to room temperature. Then refrigerate. Brownies always taste best the NEXT DAY after they are cooked. When you take them out of the refrigerator they will be hard. That is OK....Just leave them for a while at room temperature. Cut into slices for yourself and/family or/and friends. You can serve them with berries, whipped cream or powdered sugar in top. Don't forget the Insulin Shot. Enjoy!!!!!
- ► January (12)
- ▼ April (6)
- ► 2007 (33)
- ► 2008 (18)
- ► 2009 (5)
- ► 2010 (4)
- New York, New York, United States
- I do not give up my Autonomy,especially to the Medical Profession. Passionate, Creative, Able to see Beauty within Simplicity, I Am Not A Diabetic, rather I have Diabetes (there is a big difference between the two on many levels).Type 1 Diabetes since 5 years of age. Belief in G-D